Alexi Ogando tweeked his groin after legging out an infield single last Sunday against the San Francisco Giants. He was immediately removed from the game, and it has now been made public that he has a groin strain that will require a trip to the disabled list.
After using the same five starting pitchers for the entire season in 2011, the Texas Rangers have now had injuries to two starters (Feliz and Holland) as well as spot-starter and bullpen stalwart Alexi Ogando.
#Rangers GM Jon Daniels said Alexi Ogando will be out 4-6 weeks. … Nothing new on Oswalt front, team wants him 100 percent b/f he comes up
— Drew Davison (@drewdavison) June 12, 2012
• Left-hander Michael Kirkman has been recalled from Triple-A Round Rock to take Ogando’s spot in the bullpen.
• It is unknown whether Kirkman will be used as a spot-starter as Ogando was, or if the team will possibly move Robbie Ross into the rotation temporarily.
• Ogando was preceded to the disabled list by righty Neftali Feliz and lefty Derek Holland.
• Holland is scheduled to begin throwing later this week and if his shoulder holds up he could return to active duty within the next two weeks.
• Recently signed free agent Roy Oswalt is scheduled to throw 80 pitches tonight for the Texas Rangers’ Double-A affiliate, the Frisco Rough Riders.