Read a great article from the Fort Worth Star Telegram on Mike Maddux and what he sees out of his pitchers so far in spring training including the surprising breakout of Robbie Ross.
- “Robbie went out there and threw a good inning, then threw another good inning and another good inning,” Maddux said. “We were like, ‘That’s pretty good.’ But we’ve got to remember now that we do want to stretch him out.”
- Check out the rest of the article here including some quotes about Yu Darvish and Mike Adams.
Over on the ESPN Dallas blog there is a blurb about Robin Ventura’s thoughts on the Nolan Ryan fight not being shown on the jumbotron anymore. I’ll give you the meat of his thoughts
- “I don’t care,” Ventura said. “It’s not like I haven’t seen it.”
My favorite part of this story is the Paul Konerko recollection as he was a 17-year-old playing for the U.S. Junior National team. He actually drove to Arlington and was in the house for that particular game.
- “The story you hear is that the Rangers had hit some of the White Sox guys, and Robin stood up in the clubhouse and said, ‘If this guy hits me. I’m going out there. Be ready.’ That’s a pretty gutsy thing to say with Nolan Ryan. Sure enough, Robin got hit, and there he went,” Paul Konerkosays.”Two hours later, it was a riot,” Konerko says. “People were chanting ‘Nolan! Nolan!’ for about five innings. It was awesome.”
Great stuff, read the rest of the story here.
The Rangers played the Oakland Billy Beanes yesterday and lost another spring training game 11-7. Game notes:
- Two of the Rangers top prospects struggles pitching yesterday. Martin Perez gave up a home run to start the game and then 4 of the next 5 got on base. He actually did a good job of limiting the damage by only giving up one run in the 1st and one in the second. Seeing young pitchers struggle in spring training isn’t a big surprise and shouldn’t be looked at as an indication of talent.
- Neil Ramirez also struggled giving up four runs on five hits and after the game he felt like he was up in the zone the entire game.
- It was nice to see some of the guys that will be playing opening day make an impact. Ian Kinsler went 2 for 3 with a home run and Nelson Cruz had a bases loaded double. I can’t wait to see that in April.
The Rangers will be in Las Vegas this weekend playing the Cubs. I wonder if they will go out at all…