- Ryan Madson, who the Rangers were rumored to have some interested in, is off the table as he came to a 1 year agreement with the Cincinnati Reds that will pay him 8.5M.
- Rangers have invited 8 Minor Leaguers to their Major League Spring Training camp including Mike Olt, Tommy Mendonca, Tanner Scheppers and Robbie Ross. This and more is covered in a minor league update from T.R. Sullivan here.
- Sullivan also writes about the possibility of prospects Ross and Martin Perez earning a spot in the bullpen due to the need for a left-handed reliever after the departure of Darren Oliver.
- And lastly from the same update – Jurickson Profar receives the Tom Grieve Minor League Player of the Year and Robbie Ross receives the Nolan Ryan Minor League Pitcher of the Year. Profar (pictured) is the Rangers top prospect according to MLB.com.
- In case you missed Evan Grant’s article regarding Prince Fielder, be sure to give it a read. The general attitude from many baseball people seems to be that the longer Prince is available, the more sense it makes for the Rangers to be a major player and make an offer. While 10 years, which is what Scott Boras wants for his client, would still have to be out of the question, Grant poses some good compromises in his article.
- “Sources” have told CBS Sports that the Rangers and Darvish aren’t close on a deal. It’s believed that the Rangers offered something similar to what Dice-K got from the Red Sox 5 years ago. Darvish’s camp see Yu as younger and more talented and is looking for more – don’t hit the panic button – it’s all part of the process.
- MLB Commissioner Bud Selig is expected to receive a contract offer that would extend him 2 more years (Buster Olney article)
Tag Archive: Ryan Madson
Jan 11 2012
Jan 10 2012
Jan 09 2012
- Peter Gammons wrote yesterday about the Rangers as a team of interest in the Prince Fielder sweepstakes. I’d love nothing more, but trust in JD and the front office to not put us in a compromising situation that hinders us from competing down the road.
- Rangers linked to having interest in Brad Hawpe. 32 year-old left-handed hitting Fort Worth native has bounced around the last couple of years. Assuming he would be primarily of interest as insurance against injury in the OF or to Mitch Moreland, as he can play both OF and 1B.
- Numerous rumors arose over the weekend of the Rangers interest in RP Ryan Madson to fortify an already strong bullpen. I’m a big Madson fan, so I’d love to see this happen as he would bring another late-inning shut-down pitcher into the mix.
- The 2012 Hall of Fame results will be released today – Jayson Stark believes that Barry Larkin is a lock and I agree 100%. Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines & Lee Smith should also make a good showing, and might possibly get the call this year as well.
- If you missed it, I wrote an article about our current Rangers, and the possibility of some of them to receive the call from Cooperstown someday. Click here to give it a read.
- Jorge Posada retiring – not going to rehash his entire career, but I think he’s in the same boat as Bernie Williams as far as Hall of Fame chances, if not even a little less likely. He’s got the Yankee thing (aka “Rings”) going for him and the fact that he was a catcher helps take a little focus off of his offensive statistics (catchers seem to get more leeway from Hall of Fame voters in regards to stats and career totals).
- Angels agree to 4 year extension with Howie Kendrick. Good player, but not worthy of the Best AL 2B Death Match that Jasen broke down a couple of weeks ago.