- Hi Ranger fans, the first thing you should ask yourself this morning is “Shouldn’t I hurry and get a spot on the Baseballdo field trip before they are all gone?” Go here and sign up ASAP to meet a bunch of other Ranger fanatics like yourself, have a delicious Patty Shack lunch, go to a Rangers game, and get a ”Nolan is my Homeboy” t-shirt. ALL FOR 34.99!!!!!
- The great Bob Nightengale wrote a preview story about the Rangers for USAToday Sports. Want to get chills? Read the quote from Ron Washington.
Point out that Los Angeles’ star-studded rotation now includes Texas’ former ace, C.J. Wilson. Bring up how the Angels lineup got $240 million better with the signing of three-time National League MVP first baseman Albert Pujols.
“They’re good; we all know that,” Rangers manager Ron Washington says. “But I’ll tell you what, the Texas Rangers are damn good, too. I’m not worried about nothing.
This Rangers team is developing some major swagger which is what a championship team needs. The beauty of the swagger that the Rangers have is that it has developed from success not hype…
- Josh Hamilton was asked yesterday if there was any new news on the contract front and he said he thought it would be highly unlikely anything would get done before the season. He did mention that he wouldn’t be opposed to signing an extension during the season as long as it wasn’t a distraction to baseball.
- Speaking of Josh Hamilton, talking to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Hamilton felt satisfied with the work he’s put in during spring this year. Check out the story here.
The 2010 AL MVP said he didn’t have the “whip” in his swing when spring began.
“But I found it last week,” Hamilton said. “I know I struck out three times [Tuesday], but that was trying to swing too hard. I kept seeing those balls outside and felt like I could drive it. That was a learning moment for me.”
- The Rangers beat the Royals yesterday in Surprise led by a serviceable (in his opinion) Derek Holland start. He gave up six runs in five innings but still had some nice takeaways.
“I thought I had command of all my off-speed pitches and that’s the main thing. I’ve been throwing my sinker a lot this whole spring, just trying to make sure I get the feel for it both inside and outside. That was the pitch Butler got, wrong situation. That’s what he’s here for. They get paid for that.”
- Nelson Cruz had to leave the game in the third inning after he was hit by a pitch in the right hand. Early indication is that it’s just a bruise and he is listed as day-to-day.
- Yu Darvish held a bullpen session yesterday and threw 47 pitches. He is scheduled to start against the Rockies tomorrow.