- Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star Telegram writes a great article on Adrian Beltre this morning. Lots of good quotes from Adrian but this one was my favorite by far.
“There’s no doubt, signing with the Rangers is the best decision so far in my career,” Beltre said. “Coming to a good ballclub that’s committed to winning, and being in a clubhouse that everyone pulls for each other and has fun, I can’t ask for more.
It is so incredibly awesome to have a team full of players that want to be here. This team has some really special chemistry and I think that’s the reason the fans feel so connected to this team. Awesome.
- Mike Bauman of MLB.com writes about how even without CJ Wilson the Rangers pitching rotation may be even better than last year. His contention is that the incredible depth makes up for losing the team “ace” from last year.
“Add it all up and, even without Wilson, this does not appear to be a group that is suffering a collective decline. In fact, there is an argument that could be made on the other side of the issue. With continued improvement from the young pitchers, maybe the Texas rotation could even be better in 2012.”
There aren’t many times where a team can say they are better after one of their best players leaves the team but this might be one of them. Credit to the scouting department and JD for taking the risk with Yu and developing young pitching allowing them to be in this position.
- The Rangers lost another spring training game yesterday (who cares?). Here were my big takeaways:
- Matt Harrison was solid yet again. Only gave up one run in three innings of work. Love to see Matt Harrison continue to improve on his breakout season last year.
- Leonys Martin started his first game in CF yesterday and went 1-2 with a single. Love to see him getting some action in the outfield. I think he will get play full-time in the minors this year.
- Yu Darvish starts today. MLB Network and FSSW will televise the game. 3:05 CST. Yu should throw about 50 pitches. Today is awesome.