- Ryan Madson, who the Rangers were rumored to have some interested in, is off the table as he came to a 1 year agreement with the Cincinnati Reds that will pay him 8.5M.
- Rangers have invited 8 Minor Leaguers to their Major League Spring Training camp including Mike Olt, Tommy Mendonca, Tanner Scheppers and Robbie Ross. This and more is covered in a minor league update from T.R. Sullivan here.
- Sullivan also writes about the possibility of prospects Ross and Martin Perez earning a spot in the bullpen due to the need for a left-handed reliever after the departure of Darren Oliver.
- And lastly from the same update – Jurickson Profar receives the Tom Grieve Minor League Player of the Year and Robbie Ross receives the Nolan Ryan Minor League Pitcher of the Year. Profar (pictured) is the Rangers top prospect according to MLB.com.
- In case you missed Evan Grant’s article regarding Prince Fielder, be sure to give it a read. The general attitude from many baseball people seems to be that the longer Prince is available, the more sense it makes for the Rangers to be a major player and make an offer. While 10 years, which is what Scott Boras wants for his client, would still have to be out of the question, Grant poses some good compromises in his article.
- “Sources” have told CBS Sports that the Rangers and Darvish aren’t close on a deal. It’s believed that the Rangers offered something similar to what Dice-K got from the Red Sox 5 years ago. Darvish’s camp see Yu as younger and more talented and is looking for more – don’t hit the panic button – it’s all part of the process.
- MLB Commissioner Bud Selig is expected to receive a contract offer that would extend him 2 more years (Buster Olney article)